IMPORTANT 1.18 Reset

FracturedDream

Admin
Staff member
Content Member
Admin
Dec 26, 2018
WE ARE RESETTING WITH 1.18

OK, now that that's out of the way, yes we are resetting. This is not a rumor, not a maybe, not a possibility. This is a planned reset. This decision does not come easily or quickly and has been discussed for a long time. We have read all the posts players have made both for and against a reset. We have debated and discussed amongst the staff team. We have reached this decision after a lot of careful thought and consideration for what will benefit the server most in the long run.

Why are we resetting?
A Number of reasons.
- 1.17/1.18 has a number of features we would really like in our towny world. We are already missing world generation features of the last few Minecraft updates and with the addition of caves and cliffs it has been decided that there is enough new content to warrant a restart.
- Player count. We are aware of the drop in player count and have noted that with player count as low as it has been recently it is an ideal time to reset. Fewer active players means fewer players impacted by the reset and an easier transition into a fresh server.
- Changes and Updates. We have a large number of items floating around that have old or outdated information on features that have since been updated or completely overhauled. Between items broken and needing to be replaced, over powered items that have been rebalanced, and systems that have changed entirely with old parts still floating around, there is a lot of confusion caused by out dated items. The items are slowly being replaced as staff is notified by players but there are still an incredibly large number of them just hanging around.

In the end, it boils down to this: the server has stagnated and is no longer flourishing. We are resetting to bring a fresh start.

When are we resetting?
We are planning the reset to be after the Holiday update. Ultimately it will depend on when 1.18 releases and when everything is stable.

What can we keep?
Nothing (except store bought items). This is a full reset of everything. All items, stats, jobs, money, etc is all being reset.
There will be some titles that carry over. The current list is: 2020, 2021, Submerged, Architect, Victorious

Will builds be transferred?
Unfortunately not. Logistically it just isn't possible to do on a large scale.

Does that mean dungeons is resetting too?
Yes. Dungeons is considered part of towny and will reset along with it.

Is Skyblock resetting?
No. Skyblock will remain and be unaffected by the towny reset.

What to do until the reset?
Events! The Summer, Fall, and Winter events are all still happening (summer event is happening now in fact). The 2021 title from the event pieces (and the 2020 title from last year) will carry over. So go get those events!
There will be activities specifically relating to the reset as it gets closer as well. So keep an eye out!

What happens to my private world?
Make a ticket, you're starting fresh! Let us know if you want a flat world, or which seed and the co-ords you want the spawn in!

What happens to items that were gifted randomly from the store?
They will re run again as a random gift. There is no guarantee it will go to the same player if it was a random gift.

What will happen to vouchers?
Unfortunately we have no way to track vouchers that were redeemed in game. We will be returning all donor ranks regardless of how they were obtained (you may have to make a ticket if you did not purchase them through the store) but other voucher purchases not done through the store will be lost. Any unredeemed vouchers at the time of reset will be lost (paper or code). As a note, we are transitioning ALL vouchers to code only. Redeeming a voucher in the future will now always give you a code to redeem on the store.

Will there be some sort of tribute to our time pre-reset?
We are looking into that atm but the likely answer is yes. More info should be out soon as we get it nailed down.

Will there be a world download or the ability to copy schematics from the world like old Ely?
That is also on the table atm and we should be posting info on if it will be allowed very shortly.

What will we do to stabilize the economy due to the influx of keys?
All purchased keys will be given back. But the crates will likely not be accessible for a short period of time immediately after restart to give everyone some time to settle before the mass key openings.

Are we going to keep the same crates?
Yes and no. The names and appearance will be the same. But there will likely be updates to the crates to accommodate a fresh economy.

Will bans be reset?
No, though players who have been banned are welcome to post an appeal.

What about previously purchased Champion?
Expired champions will not be re run. It is a subscription only good for the time it is active.

Will pets reset?
Yes. Pets not obtained from a store purchase or donor rank will be reset.

So what now?

Now we are looking for feedback. Have a question about the reset? Want to suggest something we can change? We want to hear! Check out the discord for our faq and discussion channels regarding the reset. As we get answers for more questions not posted here, we will be posting them in the faq channel for the reset on the discord.
Keep an eye out for updates as we are looking to schedule an open meeting in the near future for players to talk with staff about the reset.

Last edited:

Chaos_Naochii

Mar 27, 2020
It's great to see the staff considering these things! I'm looking forward to starting anew! I feel that currently there is not much motivation for people to play since everything is built and collected, but a reset will bring a new world and many new possibilities!

A few suggestions that could be implemented for reset:

1. Rerelease relics in their waves! There are tons of relics that have been created, so the team can rerelease these in small relic waves, instead of having them all available at once! (I'm sure this is how you plan to do it)

2. An initial 'tutorial' quest. The quests in the Summer Event are fantastic! It would be amazing to see a one time quest that can guide players through the things maestrea has to offer (tutorial quest), and that gives some rewards :)

3. Perhaps you can make a few events before the reset that players can earn some unique titles such as "Oldie" that would stay after the reset. (Doesnt have to be an event, can be an item you obtain by ccrafting)

I'm sure youve considered a lot of newchanges and are deciding which ones to add! I'm excited to see what the team comes up with for the reset :)

ElliotJD

Admin
Staff member
Content Member
Admin
Jan 12, 2019
England
1. Rerelease relics in their waves! There are tons of relics that have been created, so the team can rerelease these in small relic waves, instead of having them all available at once! (I'm sure this is how you plan to do it)
Can confirm as a member of the Items team, we're not planning on releasing all the items as once. Will have to watch this space to see what we are planning...

ElliotJD

Admin
Staff member
Content Member
Admin
Jan 12, 2019
England
Do store vouchers need to be used before the reset?
Snippet from the Discord FAQ that should answer your question:
Discord FAQ said:
Any unredeemed vouchers at the time of reset will be lost (paper or code). As a note, we are transitioning ALL vouchers to code only. Redeeming a voucher in the future will now always give you a code to redeem on the store.

KingWither

Feb 21, 2016
To piggyback off the voucher question, so everything we buy with vouchers carries over right? I also have some holograms from when we reset last time that I haven’t used. On top of that, pretty sure emperor and those ranks carry over since they count as shop purchases. I’m excited that we are resetting fully! Also, would we have access to the old towny world like before? Maybe as a world download too? So many questions! :D

ElliotJD

Admin
Staff member
Content Member
Admin
Jan 12, 2019
England
To piggyback off the voucher question, so everything we buy with vouchers carries over right? I also have some holograms from when we reset last time that I haven’t used. On top of that, pretty sure emperor and those ranks carry over since they count as shop purchases.
Any purchases we have logged in the store we'll be re-running, any cases where vouchers were traded to a member of staff for an item or rank without going through an official store purchase we don't have any logged data for so can't be run unfortunately. We're changing our policy to ensure this won't be an issue in future if we decide to reset again somewhere down the line.
Also, would we have access to the old towny world like before? Maybe as a world download too? So many questions!
We won't be doing ongoing access on a separate server or anything, there is talk about providing some options for players to get copies of their builds locally to keep. We'll make an official announcement on that once a decision has been reached.

Best place to keep fully up-to-date with all this info is on our Discord so I recommend that, but if you don't have access feel free to keep posting questions here and we'll get to them when we can

Chaos_Naochii

Mar 27, 2020
Another suggestion:

Have a few custom buildings spread out in the new reset world! I recently tried a modpack called better minecraft and it has new structures that have some loot and spawners (basically upgraded dungeons).

I was thinking that it would be cool if there were a few special dungeons built and dotted throughout the new map, to give players something new to explore. There could be two categories:

1. Mini-Dungeons - Structures that have spawners and some chests that may have loot that resets. (perhaps this can link Maestrea to the Dungeons world).

2. Ruins - Ruins of old builds that look nice (or have some kind of treasure hidden within them).

May 16, 2021
I'm excited. I haven't played the new versions on java (I have only played the new version for a tiny bit on bedrock edition) and it will be fun being able to experince it on a server

Jan 6, 2019
So thats why there was no dungeons development!
It was either make or break with 4 to 10 players online, hardly a success story.
Doubt very much It would be of interest to me unless its more than just a towny server.
I may be 51 but combat is much less pedestrian!
The End!

KingWither

Feb 21, 2016
Any purchases we have logged in the store we'll be re-running, any cases where vouchers were traded to a member of staff for an item or rank without going through an official store purchase we don't have any logged data for so can't be run unfortunately. We're changing our policy to ensure this won't be an issue in future if we decide to reset again somewhere down the line.

We won't be doing ongoing access on a separate server or anything, there is talk about providing some options for players to get copies of their builds locally to keep. We'll make an official announcement on that once a decision has been reached.

Best place to keep fully up-to-date with all this info is on our Discord so I recommend that, but if you don't have access feel free to keep posting questions here and we'll get to them when we can
Ok cool! So could I get my current vouchers turned into codes so I can have the stuff I buy now for next reset?

ElliotJD

Admin
Staff member
Content Member
Admin
Jan 12, 2019
England
1. Mini-Dungeons - Structures that have spawners and some chests that may have loot that resets. (perhaps this can link Maestrea to the Dungeons world).

2. Ruins - Ruins of old builds that look nice (or have some kind of treasure hidden within them).
Interesting suggestions. My concerns are that for the first, the spawners and chests will be raided almost immediately on server release so will just end up being a couple weird holes in the ground after that. Not super enticing and we'll have a much more central and obvious location to link to Dungeons so players are very aware it's an option for them to play.
For the second, one of the main complaints we heard from players about the old maps was that the abundance of ruins already there from fallen towns was extremely unattractive and made the server just looked very griefed. After a couple of weeks the map should fill up organically with wonderful player creations which I personally would much prefer to a few templates of ruins.

EmilyFrances

Known Member
Sep 8, 2016
Sydney-ish, Australia
At first I was sadenned by this news because it would mean that I don't get to finish Spires of Elysia... again, and wasn't looking forward to rebuilding for a third time. However, I am excited for the future of the server :D
And upon thinking on it I'm going to try finish SoE as much as I can before the reset as we have a few months still, and then start fresh with something new when we reset - I already have a few ideas banging around!

Chaos_Naochii

Mar 27, 2020
Interesting suggestions. My concerns are that for the first, the spawners and chests will be raided almost immediately on server release so will just end up being a couple weird holes in the ground after that. Not super enticing and we'll have a much more central and obvious location to link to Dungeons so players are very aware it's an option for them to play.
For the second, one of the main complaints we heard from players about the old maps was that the abundance of ruins already there from fallen towns was extremely unattractive and made the server just looked very griefed. After a couple of weeks the map should fill up organically with wonderful player creations which I personally would much prefer to a few templates of ruins.
for the mini dungeons I meant more that they would be areas that are unbreakable by players, much like spawn. and then its simply about setting up the reset times for the chests (probably should be random to avoid players waiting for chests to reset)

This could lead to players having a home set up near a dungeon, so they could be moved every so often (if theyre not too big, perhaps only 2x2 chunks). Just give some fun to running around the map and exploring.

by linking maestrea and dungeons, I meant that they could have a dungeons themed item that would give boosts to dungeoneering - maybe an item that doubles coins for next hour, or adds hp, or anything else.

ElliotJD

Admin
Staff member
Content Member
Admin
Jan 12, 2019
England
Ah okay, interesting ideas. We'll keep them in mind as we move forward but since we're still in the early stages of reset planning I can't say with any certainty whether these will be implemented completely, partially or not at all

Top Bottom