Ban Forgiveness/Wipe To Revitalize Player Count

KingWither

Feb 21, 2016
With summer coming soon and the caves and cliffs update headed our way, people will have a bunch of free time on their hands and might be looking for a server that is updated. I already made a post about the upcoming update, but this suggestion may be another boost we need to increase our player count.

It's no secret that we have lost a lot of long term and older players to bans (deserved or not). I know we have permabans and appeals for a reason, but some of our best players and long term players have been banned for quite a long time for reasons that seem trivial or unimportant in the context and long term timeline of things. Then when they are banned, their friends leave who were also long term players.

What I am suggesting is this...

I think we need to go through our ban list and consider unbanning some players that would be willing to come back and try again. Hell, we could even unban everyone, have staff pay attention to the chat and server for a couple days for obvious trolls, and retain a few returning players. I miss a lot of people that have been banned or quit for various reasons. I think we need some forgiveness and look to the future as well as our pasts. Even if someone was banned for a reason, I think the risk of a repeat from a few or even all of them would be outweighed by a bigger and active community. Multiple staff could actually be on and moderate during this time period and be prepared for it.

I know I'm suggesting that staff put some extra effort in, but I think this combined with the update and continued advertising through videos, ad space, etc. could really get our numbers up. A little struggle or effort along the way could give the server the boost it needs. I think we need to be doing everything we can to make this server worth visiting, but retention should be an even bigger priority. Ban forgiveness might get people to return and stay, and I would be willing to risk a few censored words and spam in chat for people who will actually stay.

Thoughts or other solutions would be appreciated.

May 16, 2021
As a player who just started playing and with a ton of experince in running servers like this. A random wipe with the hopes of making the player count better most likely will fail.

This is due to people not liking all their progress removed its like someone deleting your minecraft world you have worked on for months and you're forced to restart.

And with my experince the player drop this server is looking at is just related to how servers work. When I staffed on a Garrys Mod network (One of the biggest) we would have months with few players then school and work break periods would bring in the players.

A good way for any sever (big and small) to reach more players is threw youtuber. Just uploading your gameplay and showing how the server is could grow it a ton. And also votes help. I found this server threw a website and other players most likely have as well.

KingWither

Feb 21, 2016
As a player who just started playing and with a ton of experince in running servers like this. A random wipe with the hopes of making the player count better most likely will fail.

This is due to people not liking all their progress removed its like someone deleting your minecraft world you have worked on for months and you're forced to restart.

And with my experince the player drop this server is looking at is just related to how servers work. When I staffed on a Garrys Mod network (One of the biggest) we would have months with few players then school and work break periods would bring in the players.

A good way for any sever (big and small) to reach more players is threw youtuber. Just uploading your gameplay and showing how the server is could grow it a ton. And also votes help. I found this server threw a website and other players most likely have as well.
This isn’t just a seasonal problem, I’ve been here for 5 years almost every day. Of course all those things you mentioned would bring in players, but retention is far more important. The full unbanning for everyone was more of an exaggeration to show it could be done and it still would be worth it. A selective unbanning to get more respected and popular players back could revitalize us. Even if they all get banned again eventually for decisions they make with yet another chance.

Clay

Jul 27, 2020
The server is really gonna die. Like just in case the staff team have not realized we have sometimes an all time low of 1-2 players. Great job indeed. More people have been banned more than newcomers staying. In fact I am already mentally preparing for this server's demise by finding backup towny servers to settle in.

Idk man, I once pointed out the lack of action by the staff team to turn the server around, but instead they rather spend time getting offended by my remarks rather than actually doing something about it.

KingWither

Feb 21, 2016
The server is really gonna die. Like just in case the staff team have not realized we have sometimes an all time low of 1-2 players. Great job indeed. More people have been banned more than newcomers staying. In fact I am already mentally preparing for this server's demise by finding backup towny servers to settle in.

Idk man, I once pointed out the lack of action by the staff team to turn the server around, but instead they rather spend time getting offended by my remarks rather than actually doing something about it.
I think the server will stagnate until more effort is put into quality of life changes and player retention. Staff keeps getting “burnt out” and then things aren’t worked on for months. Giving up and starting over but never finishing doesn’t help anyone it’s just a colossal waste of time and effort. Do it bit by bit instead of some grand vision of a handful of people or just one person that rarely comes through. People actually care about this server and want to see it improve, is that not motivation enough to do like 10 minutes a day towards something? An hour a week in work would give us more progress than we are seeing as players from many staff members. I’m not meaning this as an offensive statement, it’s simply true. Events still come out at a decent pace, relics still get worked on, but new towny features? New custom items? New job updates? Resource world changes? Bug fixes? Different kinds of events? If every staff member put in even just an hour of effort a week towards improving the server through content or fixes, we would see MAJOR improvements to what we have been seeing. Even if regular people start hosting town or nation events again it would give people something to get excited about. I haven’t seen drop parties, giveaways, contests, ANYTHING from the community either. There is a major decline in involvement from both staff and players because of how this is being handled, combined with the banning of the most important players who actually stayed long enough to get banned for something trivial or from ages ago. Which is why I suggested this. I have tried to address the underlying issues multiple times. But I’m getting frustrated and things need to change or at least have an hour of effort a week put into it. Otherwise we will keep losing people and less people will stay. If care is put into the server it will show. We can’t just coast into oblivion until a minor thing is changed or added every couple months. Please do something, even these tiny little suggestions can do something. I know we can do better to help this server, even as a community without staff helping.

Clay

Jul 27, 2020
I think the server will stagnate until more effort is put into quality of life changes and player retention. Staff keeps getting “burnt out” and then things aren’t worked on for months. Giving up and starting over but never finishing doesn’t help anyone it’s just a colossal waste of time and effort. Do it bit by bit instead of some grand vision of a handful of people or just one person that rarely comes through. People actually care about this server and want to see it improve, is that not motivation enough to do like 10 minutes a day towards something? An hour a week in work would give us more progress than we are seeing as players from many staff members. I’m not meaning this as an offensive statement, it’s simply true. Events still come out at a decent pace, relics still get worked on, but new towny features? New custom items? New job updates? Resource world changes? Bug fixes? Different kinds of events? If every staff member put in even just an hour of effort a week towards improving the server through content or fixes, we would see MAJOR improvements to what we have been seeing. Even if regular people start hosting town or nation events again it would give people something to get excited about. I haven’t seen drop parties, giveaways, contests, ANYTHING from the community either. There is a major decline in involvement from both staff and players because of how this is being handled, combined with the banning of the most important players who actually stayed long enough to get banned for something trivial or from ages ago. Which is why I suggested this. I have tried to address the underlying issues multiple times. But I’m getting frustrated and things need to change or at least have an hour of effort a week put into it. Otherwise we will keep losing people and less people will stay. If care is put into the server it will show. We can’t just coast into oblivion until a minor thing is changed or added every couple months. Please do something, even these tiny little suggestions can do something. I know we can do better to help this server, even as a community without staff helping.
Glad were on the same page Wither

MitunA

May 19, 2021
I was a somewhat popular player on ElyssiaMc Pre-merge, Playing 12-16 hours a day but I was banned because the the old owner, I wanna say his name was Micc? Banned me for abusing combatlog bugs, but I never did, and then I made a big stink in the forums because I was denied an appeal for not reporting it even though I tired to, but it was against the rules to contact staff if you were banned, so I was denied my appeals. If you want to unban people, I heavily recommend looking through Elyssia's old bans, tons of people got banned for little to no reason, I'm not the first. Inavir themself agreed.

Last edited:

MitunA

May 19, 2021
I was a somewhat popular player on ElyssiaMc Pre-merge, Playing 12-16 hours a day but I was banned because the the old owner, I wanna say his name was Micc? Banned me for abusing combatlog bugs, but I never did, and then I made a big stink in the forums because I was denied an appeal for not reporting it even though I tired to, but it was against the rules to contact staff if you were banned, so I was denied my appeals. If you want to unban people, I heavily recommend looking through Elyssia's old bans, tons of people got banned for little to no reason, I'm not the first. Inavir themself agreed.
The person who handled my appeal still admins here so I just wanted to put a few things out before I get Forum banned.
Hi Elliot, I imagine it was beyond your power in the first place, but you really never kept your promise to fix the appeal system and it's even worse now man, I believed in you.
No I didn't make this account to get any limitations I could have on my old account, I just lost it.
I'm aware I'm going to be forum banned, I'm not trying to be unbanned, just shine a light on the situation of the mishandled Ban/appeal Process that both Elyssia and Maestrea have, for as long as appeals are based on the ego of the staff and bans are handed out with little thought, the server will continue to lose innocent users. I was banned because of a missunderstanding and a paradox in the rules, and everyone in Glassinia quit playing because of that, how many players are you are willing to lose because you're unwilling to fix a system everyone knows is broken? All of them?

Last edited:

Clay

Jul 27, 2020
The person who handled my appeal still admins here so I just wanted to put a few things out before I get Forum banned.
Hi Elliot, I imagine it was beyond your power in the first place, but you really never kept your promise to fix the appeal system and it's even worse now man, I believed in you.
No I didn't make this account to get any limitations I could have on my old account, I just lost it.
I'm aware I'm going to be forum banned, I'm not trying to be unbanned, just shine a light on the situation of the mishandled Ban/appeal Process that both Elyssia and Maestrea have, for as long as appeals are based on the ego of the staff and bans are handed out with little thought, the server will continue to lose innocent users. I was banned because of a missunderstanding and a paradox in the rules, and everyone in Glassinia quit playing because of that, how many players are you are willing to lose because you're unwilling to fix a system everyone knows is broken? All of them?
Spot on right there. Almost everything is broken. Jobs earnings notifications, when we press tab we cant even see what server the other people are in. Heck even the prestige dots are broken. Recently I have never seen any staff online except for a few of you (you know who you are and thank you).

Why cant the server just use donation money to PAY professional staff members. I really think this will help. And many old players will be willing to donate for that cause.

But wait why did I waste my time typing all these? Most of the staff team will simply turn a blind eye to this or if they do see this they will shoot down ideas as fast as hamas rockets. Time to wake up. No actually keep sleeping lol

KingWither

Feb 21, 2016
Spot on right there. Almost everything is broken. Jobs earnings notifications, when we press tab we cant even see what server the other people are in. Heck even the prestige dots are broken. Recently I have never seen any staff online except for a few of you (you know who you are and thank you).

Why cant the server just use donation money to PAY professional staff members. I really think this will help. And many old players will be willing to donate for that cause.

But wait why did I waste my time typing all these? Most of the staff team will simply turn a blind eye to this or if they do see this they will shoot down ideas as fast as hamas rockets. Time to wake up. No actually keep sleeping lol
Yeah there's quite a bit of broken or listed things that don't even exist. I was probably going to make a list of all the donor rank stuff that doesn't work or doesn't work as intended. If they are going to have stuff up for real money, they sure better be accurate with what they list. I don't know how legality goes into that but it's not right to take people's money and have broken or missing perks. As for Mituna, maybe this unbanning suggestion can go for Ely players as well. I don't know their situation but it would be worth investigating to get some returning players that would actually contribute and be a part of the community. Clearly they were willing to not only risk a forum ban to help this suggestion along, but they provided information that could help others be welcomed back to the community. We really need active staff to be on and working on the server if we have any vision for the future. Little bursts of a handful of bugfixes or one guy doing little tweaks here and there isn't enough. Pretty sure there's quite a few past staff members that are banned or left because of drama or their friends leaving or being banned. I'm sure they would love to come back and help once the server changes direction or shows some effort into revitalizing its playerbase/community. I'm still here because I have hope that we can do something for the future. I have my own little building projects and I like sharing with our community. I could easily do this somewhere else or online at other websites. But I want this server to be the best it can be and what I KNOW it can be based on how it HAS been. I like it here and I know we can do better.

Also, staff probably will retaliate against some of your extreme comparisons Clay but hey lol. If it gets them to look at it...

Clay

Jul 27, 2020
Yeah there's quite a bit of broken or listed things that don't even exist. I was probably going to make a list of all the donor rank stuff that doesn't work or doesn't work as intended. If they are going to have stuff up for real money, they sure better be accurate with what they list. I don't know how legality goes into that but it's not right to take people's money and have broken or missing perks. As for Mituna, maybe this unbanning suggestion can go for Ely players as well. I don't know their situation but it would be worth investigating to get some returning players that would actually contribute and be a part of the community. Clearly they were willing to not only risk a forum ban to help this suggestion along, but they provided information that could help others be welcomed back to the community. We really need active staff to be on and working on the server if we have any vision for the future. Little bursts of a handful of bugfixes or one guy doing little tweaks here and there isn't enough. Pretty sure there's quite a few past staff members that are banned or left because of drama or their friends leaving or being banned. I'm sure they would love to come back and help once the server changes direction or shows some effort into revitalizing its playerbase/community. I'm still here because I have hope that we can do something for the future. I have my own little building projects and I like sharing with our community. I could easily do this somewhere else or online at other websites. But I want this server to be the best it can be and what I KNOW it can be based on how it HAS been. I like it here and I know we can do better.

Also, staff probably will retaliate against some of your extreme comparisons Clay but hey lol. If it gets them to look at it...
Well, I guess this server is really on its dying phase. Some things we cannot control, just have to live with its final moments

KingWither

Feb 21, 2016
Well, I guess this server is really on its dying phase. Some things we cannot control, just have to live with its final moments
It doesn’t need to die or be dying, it’s a great server. There’s just not a lot of the right kind of attention going towards it lately. Staff drama and personal lives will always exist, but we should be getting more people who actually want to help the server into positions they actually can. Cycle through people who haven’t done anything in a long time. Unban people who actually like the server but not how things were handled or not handled. Unban people banned for trivial things. There’s a lot of little things we can do that go a long way. There doesn’t have to be high effort massive changes that divide the community. Little continuous and positive changes and additions would do the trick.

castafer

Aug 29, 2019
It doesn’t need to die or be dying, it’s a great server. There’s just not a lot of the right kind of attention going towards it lately. Staff drama and personal lives will always exist, but we should be getting more people who actually want to help the server into positions they actually can. Cycle through people who haven’t done anything in a long time. Unban people who actually like the server but not how things were handled or not handled. Unban people banned for trivial things. There’s a lot of little things we can do that go a long way. There doesn’t have to be high effort massive changes that divide the community. Little continuous and positive changes and additions would do the trick.
I completely agree with you. And now as I watch over Mastrea, I realize how much I missed ElyssiaMC. I don't know what happened to ElyssiaMC when I last played it, but everyone was so fun to hangout with. Moderators came up to me all the time, just hung out with me doing job events or boss battles. I remember the ice boss battle on a massive railroad track. Those were the days.

The biggest issue's I can see with Mastrea, are...

- Mastrea doesn't hold up to ElyssiaMC's core standards

- Like you said, many bans were made that should've been appealed, especially after sincere apologizes after a long time

- I was banned almost out of confusion by the staff, by 3 staff members then the owner, for what I remember was inviting a friend from ElyssiaMC to play on a vanilla server together, but never even doing so and being permanently banned. I'm still in contact with him, and we just chat occasionally

- As the other person above said, many things are broken in Mastrea, and everything feels poorly maintained

What happened to Micc? Why did Micc ban me permanently, for such an odd and small reason? Where is ElyssiaMC? The true server this upset community has lost, and is dwelling on so badly, including me.

If I had a handful of wishes, one of them would be able to have ElyssiaMC and my towns people back... :(

Clay

Jul 27, 2020
Screenshot 2021-06-18 193108.png

So this happened today, 1 person online. If the staff is okay with this then prepare for the server's timely demise

KingWither

Feb 21, 2016
View attachment 7621

So this happened today, 1 person online. If the staff is okay with this then prepare for the server's timely demise
Mhmm. It’s been that way for a couple days. We’ll see if the event in a few days magically pulls some players from the ether. Retention is still the biggest issue and unbanning people who were committed still might help.

Attachments

pyrokarl

Known Member
Jun 28, 2019
One of the reasons nobody is getting on, is the fact that lag has been crazy lately. Not sure why, but I couldn't mine or fly decent the last few days.
I think the ship has sailed on the Elyssia crowd. It was a bad scene how it was handled initially. Those that did come for the grand reopening of Ely 2.0 were just disappointed in everything not being exactly the same as they left it. I came from Ely, but saw many flaws there and was happy for the change.
The whole unbanning thing would surely be a big stumbling block for the staff. A server I played on years ago did unban everyone that had been banned. It caused a bunch of renewed friction between returning players and old staff. Probably about 10% of those that returned did stay and become decent regulars. Unfortunately, the owner had issues and the server fell maybe 8 months later. Hard to say for sure if it could be handled better with the many thousand of banned players from Mae and Ely past.

KingWither

Feb 21, 2016
One of the reasons nobody is getting on, is the fact that lag has been crazy lately. Not sure why, but I couldn't mine or fly decent the last few days.
I think the ship has sailed on the Elyssia crowd. It was a bad scene how it was handled initially. Those that did come for the grand reopening of Ely 2.0 were just disappointed in everything not being exactly the same as they left it. I came from Ely, but saw many flaws there and was happy for the change.
The whole unbanning thing would surely be a big stumbling block for the staff. A server I played on years ago did unban everyone that had been banned. It caused a bunch of renewed friction between returning players and old staff. Probably about 10% of those that returned did stay and become decent regulars. Unfortunately, the owner had issues and the server fell maybe 8 months later. Hard to say for sure if it could be handled better with the many thousand of banned players from Mae and Ely past.
I think if staff gave ban forgiveness and a grievance page to get their frustrations out productively, it would be handled well. But I can almost guarantee there would be staff members that just go “And that’s why you were banned in the first place *permabanned instantly*” over the smallest thing without warning. Drama comes from both sides. Forgiveness is forgiveness. They start out with the same warnings and the same level of tolerance as everyone else, including players that are “too big to fail” over minor infractions. We can do it if there’s EFFORT put into it and it’s done carefully. As for no players being on, yeah I know the problems that were happening. But it has to do with retention and consistency for long term changes in the positive direction.

Top Bottom