changes to the rules for town protection vs residents

would you like a new rule protecting town mayors from dishonest residents?

• Agree

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Disagree

Votes: 15 62.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr__Vash

Feb 14, 2017
I feel that the rules need to be changed just a little bit. as we all know if a town mayor trusted a player or set his perms wrong that it was the wrong choice and he deserves to get griefed by destruction of buildings or stolen goods.. that's the normal mind set that this server allows.

With that said we should make it to where if the perms were set wrong fine they were asking for griefing but i feel that town residents that abuse the kindness of the mayors should be punished. how many times have we seen a newbie that wanted a town but we are too afraid to invite them due to the lax policies of town protections. i for one have been griefed by a player who joined my town and i know many others have as well.

Last edited:

joey101998

Devoted Member
Sep 24, 2016
Disagree completely. Mayors choose to add people to their town. That means it is their responsibility to make sure that it is some they can trust. If you don't want to be screwed over then make sure all your perks are right or only add people you can trust

CsoiSauce

May 21, 2016
Okay. So I have quick fixes for these.
Farms: Make an official town rule that they have to replant. The staff are kind enough to tell you who didn't replant. If they didn't (or if they griefed), due to it being a public rule that can be viewed, you can kick them from your town.
Prebuilds:
Option 1: You can make a contract book that states they cannot grief, etc. as long as they own the house. They must sign the book. This is then a contract, if they grief, you can kick them from your town.
Option 2: Make it like a hotel, you lock everything, but cmodify them. Don't let them own the plot, but allow for itemuse + switch perms only.

You can always check permissions of your town by doing /t. In my town, at least, we only promote those who are helpful. We start them off as sheriff, and then the co-mayors can vote for each promotion/demotion.
I personally like being the one deemed responsible. I am the mayor of my town, so I should keep it in the best of shape, and manage it in the best way I can.

Scythe578

Devoted Member
Nov 11, 2015
What is the actual addition/modification you want to make to the rules? Find the rules you'd like to change, quote it and tell me which parts you feel are unfair/should be modified then we can discuss it here :)

Mr__Vash

Feb 14, 2017
so none of u actually understands the issue so u make a town farm and make it protected so they don't get pvpd they break it all straight to bedrock and u have this gaping hole and it takes a while to fix obv this isn't griefing and now u gotta work hard to make it available to your residents again for some other random player to do it again
and again prebuilt houses sign book or whatnot if they greif by default i can kick them anyways but doesn't bring back the hard work of making the damn place. anyways ur input is part of the poll so thats how u feel. lets see how others feel

Cassie

Jun 19, 2017
I was talking with Ender in-game about this and I am going to agree that rules should be made to protect towns and what is inside them.
While raiding and griefing are allowed, it's allowed outside of towns and we are using towns as a way to protect our builds and items, whether or not we allow people in, they should be protected.
We pay to keep our towns up and pay for the protections, so the content of those towns should be protected as long as we are paying.

While we know there are guides for permissions, as a newbie and there are plenty of people still learning about Towny to this day, the commands are overwhelming!
It's very very easy for a new player (or even old player) to not set up something "properly" and it results in a not so great person going and abusing that and ruining something in the town, the town the Mayor pays for.
You might debate this saying if they're new they shouldn't make a town or invite anyone in, but they're playing multiplayer for a reason, to play with other people and maybe even make a really nice town. We can't deny them that if they want to do it, but we should protect them too.

TL;DR: We pay for the protection of the towns, so they should be protected from grief of any form, even if it's by setting up permissions poorly.
But anything outside of towns, or former towns, are still grief-able because they aren't being paid to be protected.

D

Deleted User

Cassie, I think you may be missing the point entirely, I do believe he wants a rule in regards to individuals that play along just to gain access to something and then destroy it for the "Lulz" or to be an ass, hence him saying "With that said we should make it to where if the perms were set wrong fine they were asking for griefing" The rule of player responsibility is a sold one and bears great use for newer players, you live and you learn.

Mr_vash did you not see Scythe's reply? He's being very open minded towards your proposal, lay down some solid logic, make some good points, I personally think you're onto something here.

Scythe578

Devoted Member
Nov 11, 2015
Player responsibility plays a large part in this, if you're going to start a town you need to know how to work some of the commands. If you don't know how to work the commands properly, you should either learn them or refrain from making a town.

joey101998

Devoted Member
Sep 24, 2016
so none of u actually understands the issue so u make a town farm and make it protected so they don't get pvpd they break it all straight to bedrock and u have this gaping hole and it takes a while to fix obv this isn't griefing and now u gotta work hard to make it available to your residents again for some other random player to do it again
and again prebuilt houses sign book or whatnot if they greif by default i can kick them anyways but doesn't bring back the hard work of making the damn place. anyways ur input is part of the poll so thats how u feel. lets see how others feel
Dude if i set the plots to farm plots they can only break and replant crops. Also u have had so many town members grief shit. I kick em, fix the grief, and move on. I understand that it was my fault for adding some1 I did not know.

Jazilla79

May 28, 2016
US
I get what is being said. If a player buys an empty plot, they have to have permissions to be able to build a house on that lot. Whats to stop a player from leaving the top visable layer of diry and bringing the rest to bedrock. Now the mayor has to repair when that douce leaves the town.

This is why I live alone.

joey101998

Devoted Member
Sep 24, 2016
I get what is being said. If a player buys an empty plot, they have to have permissions to be able to build a house on that lot. Whats to stop a player from leaving the top visable layer of diry and bringing the rest to bedrock. Now the mayor has to repair when that douce leaves the town.

This is why I live alone.
Lol. I've had to clear so many houses and fix so many griefed farms that I've lost count at this point. There will always be assholes out there. We just have to deal with them

Jazilla79

May 28, 2016
US
But as a mayor, you can't add someone to your town just to kick them and get their stuff. It is considered scaming. Why can't that be applied the other way around. If a player joins a town and griefs or takes a plot to deadrock, didn't they scam the owner/mayors when they joined under the pretense of a citizen loking for a home in a noce town???

joey101998

Devoted Member
Sep 24, 2016
But as a mayor, you can't add someone to your town just to kick them and get their stuff. It is considered scaming. Why can't that be applied the other way around. If a player joins a town and griefs or takes a plot to deadrock, didn't they scam the owner/mayors when they joined under the pretense of a citizen loking for a home in a noce town???
Because it is your choice to add the player. If u want to add a bunch of people great but you need to trust them. Unless they blatantly say that they will not grief the farm or sign a book with the rules then it is not scamming as there is no proof that they agreed to the town rules.it is up to you to either set up the proper perms or tale the proper measures to ensure your towns safety. Towns are run by players not staff so it is up to the players to control what happens within them

Jazilla79

May 28, 2016
US
I do agree it is up to the mayor to correctly set perms. If you have a town and you invite players to join, you should know how to set the perms correctly.

Mr__Vash

Feb 14, 2017
my hope is that town residents cant greif the town outsider/ally grief would be allowed cuz its ur fault for trusting allies but if out goal is to be the best server we should be welcoming to all players... not afraid of accepting new players and even existing players due to the lax rules on griefing
pretty simple imo but if not i will try to explain further

Sep 10, 2016
Basically what my problem with Current rules is that someone can play nice and get perms but than when you log off come and Grief your Town.
its pretty much definition of Scamming in my opinion, however its not bannable currently due to *player responsibility* Rule.

Last edited:

Jazilla79

May 28, 2016
US
Basically what my problem with Current rules is that someone can play nice and get perms but than when you log off come and Grief your Town.
its pretty much definition of Scamming in my opinion, however its not bannable currently due to *player responsibility* Rule.
Silver, long time no see.

Exactly. If it against the rules for Calski to add a member to his town just to kill him and get his newly purchased tungsun pickax why isn't against the rules for a player to join and grief the town. I view them both as scamming.

(not picking on ole Cal but it’s the one incident that stands out in my head as a prime example)

joey101998

Devoted Member
Sep 24, 2016
Silver, long time no see.

Exactly. If it against the rules for Calski to add a member to his town just to kill him and get his newly purchased tungsun pickax why isn't against the rules for a player to join and grief the town. I view them both as scamming.

(not picking on ole Cal but it’s the one incident that stands out in my head as a prime example)
Because he intentionally did that with malice. He knew that they had a tungsten pick and asked them to join his town. When u add some1 to your town and give them perks that is u placing your trust in them. If u can't trust some1 then don't add em if u can't handle the potential of being briefed. I deal with this all the time and know the risks that come with adding ppl u don't know. Never give some1 perms unless u fully trust them

Scythe578

Devoted Member
Nov 11, 2015
So why don't town mayor's just setup their permissions properly and only promote and give permissions to people they trust?

If someone breaks a large portion of your town, do what dot did. Get together logs and a description of the situation, make your argument in ban reports, and you'll get help.

He made a solid agreement (like had logs to show where he talked with the player and made specific terms the other player agreed to) and when the player who was comayor grieved his town, we rolled it back, even worldedited the buildings back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom