Clearer rule of auction boosting

ZombiePandaX

Known Member
Oct 9, 2016
So, I have heard two different things about auction boosting.

One side, is that even if the price is still reasonable, its fine. So if there's 2 shards in auction, for 500, and close to the end of the auc, its up to 1k, but at the last moment, someone does /bid 3500, and someone else wins it for 3550.

The other side is that boosting it thousands in the middle of a bid war even if its still in a reasonable price range, is not allowed. Again, same example, but this time its not allowed, because the person who bids after, wasn't expecting that much of a price increase.

The rules only state if the price range is not reasonable, and people ingame think that its not okay to boost, even if its still reasonable.

Zevira

Devoted Member
Content Member
Builder
May 18, 2016
Hm letme try to explain..

If theres a bidding war and user X bids 3500.
User Y still bids because it went so fast, and at the end user Y wins it for 3550. But actual didnt want it for that much,
Then user X must/shoud agree to buy it over for their last bid because X wanted it.

If not, it means user X boosted the auction just to have others pay more.

-yes its rude. But if it happens with a low priced items ive often seen the aucioneer returning a amount back to user Y. Most players on the server are that nice.

Ihope this clears up for the reasonable auction boosters.

Of course boosting a shard from 500 to 50k or something aint allowed.

-*i Coud always be totally wrong but ithink this is how it mostly happens*
Most players look down on those wich boost the auction like that.
It doesnt happen all too often when it doesnt get sort out fast without a normal convo between user x/y/auctioneer

Last edited:

10art1

Dec 15, 2016
I have a suggestion: why don't the owners modify auctioning to disable auction sniping? Like, if anyone bids within the last 5 seconds of the auction, another 5 seconds are added to the auction.

Zevira

Devoted Member
Content Member
Builder
May 18, 2016
I have a suggestion: why don't the owners modify auctioning to disable auction sniping? Like, if anyone bids within the last 5 seconds of the auction, another 5 seconds are added to the auction.
To prevent a hour long auction. XD

mini mog

Dec 2, 2016
maybe people should type /bid <amount> ... Then they can't cry if they pay more than they wish.

i really don't like people getting banned because people want to be lazy or are sad when they pay a lot for their own negligence.

JeffJamz

Feb 15, 2017
Or be able to set a bid max so you don't go over it. However, they could still bid in increments, they just wouldn't be able to bid anymore if the auctions surpasses their max?

Jazilla79

May 28, 2016
US
How about if someone bids over a certain percentage of the price the auction ends and that person wins. No more auction boosting if there is a 100% chance you will get the item you are trying to boost.

joey101998

Devoted Member
Sep 24, 2016
How about if someone bids over a certain percentage of the price the auction ends and that person wins. No more auction boosting if there is a 100% chance you will get the item you are trying to boost.
Would not work as some items such as titles people may not know the value of and prove it really low and then people could bid large prices and want to win it even if this price is small. Also all boosters would have to do to get around this would be to figure out the percentage that you can bid up to and then bid like $10 below that

Jazilla79

May 28, 2016
US
Joey, I see your point. What is the player could set a max bid amount. Like the bid incremnets are set and bids can't go higher. I know this would get annoying on something like Joey mentioned but I think the trade off of auction boosting from $500 to $5000 is much more annoying than a little longer on an item.

joey101998

Devoted Member
Sep 24, 2016
Joey, I see your point. What is the player could set a max bid amount. Like the bid incremnets are set and bids can't go higher. I know this would get annoying on something like Joey mentioned but I think the trade off of auction boosting from $500 to $5000 is much more annoying than a little longer on an item.
The issue is then buy out prices would become obselete or atteming to detur ppl from bidding by bidding high at the start would also not work.

Jazilla79

May 28, 2016
US
I don't think there is a perfect fix. anything done will have its consequences I agree. It would have to be a trade off but seeing the number of bad reports for auction boosting and knowing there are probably double that not getting reported, it is a suggested salution. Just trying to think of a way to limit the boost without hindering the auctioner.

Zestive

Known Member
Apr 25, 2016
Canada
Hm letme try to explain..

If theres a bidding war and user X bids 3500.
User Y still bids because it went so fast, and at the end user Y wins it for 3550. But actual didnt want it for that much,
Then user X must/shoud agree to buy it over for their last bid because X wanted it.

If not, it means user X boosted the auction just to have others pay more.

-yes its rude. But if it happens with a low priced items ive often seen the aucioneer returning a amount back to user Y. Most players on the server are that nice.

Ihope this clears up for the reasonable auction boosters.

Of course boosting a shard from 500 to 50k or something aint allowed.
Well when it comes down to it the auction plugin is really on how you bid. One of the things that I see that reduces the effectiveness of the plugin is the way people will try and game it. This happens mainly sniping bids near the end as they aim to try and get the best price instead of the price it would go for in a real life auction where there is not as much of a hard limit on time. Now this behavior is by no means bad this is just simple human nature to try to avoid excess cost. There is no real fix for this because the draw backs of allowing infinite anti-snipe timers is that the auction becomes a drawn out war of attrition that begins to spam general chat.

As has been pointed out by Zevria the best thing to do is to practice good faith when conducting any transaction. This will fix almost all issues with regrades to unwanted bids like in the example. However it might be a interesting idea to let a player return an item they won via auction by doing say: /auction return. Now since this has the ability for abuse it would need to be limited say one or two a day and should come with a return penalty like what the sever would collect on tax charged to them. Now I understand that theory wise this might be a good idea but I lack the knowledge to interpret who easy or hard it would to add something like this in.

An alternative on this would be to have it so that all auction have a max bid increment as well as a minimum increment.

Well that is my 10 cents on the matter and a wall of text at that let me know what your thoughts are as discussion can only help us better analyze issues like this.

TL DR
Well please do take the time to read T.T

JeffJamz

Feb 15, 2017
After the auction has gone a certain time, disable /Bid (amount) and the only way you can auction is /Bid.
So it can just be reaction time.

Jazilla79

May 28, 2016
US
I completely agree with practicing good faith but as I am learning there are those how deceive for fun or until they get banned.

For the most part the active community we have is pretty respectful of the bid rules. It's the occasional new player that is looking for trouble for fun and hadn't looked at the rules.

The question is how do we protect the auctions without affecting the players who respect the game and it's played. Hard answer

Scythe578

Devoted Member
Content Member
Nov 11, 2015
The question is how do we protect the auctions without affecting the players who respect the game and it's played. Hard answer
In the end, that is why we have a staff team :)

Staff members are around to help players properly interpret the rules and, if necessary, enforce them on players.

Auction boosting is a rule that falls under the interpretation area, where we look at what has happened in the situation and make judgements on a case by case basis.

I wish we could make a solid defined rule for auction boosting but it has so many tiny little details to it that sometimes this is impossible.

Boomy

Builder
Jun 11, 2016
England
Zevira's initial point answers this thread precisely.

A lot of the points here are already implemented.

If someone auction boosts and doesn't want the item - it seems fair to punish them (even if they bid a reasonable price for that item). If a player boosts the auction to make the price correct, they should continue trying to win the item.

I believe auction boosting should be prevented for the last 5 seconds of the auction however I am unsure if this can be featured in the plugin or not.

If you are hosting an auction and someone boosts it, refund any player who didn't want to pay that much in exchange for the item - I realise this could be a problem since not 100% of funds are given to the auctioneer.

Sil3ntOne

Feb 22, 2017
New command suggestion
/bid max {number}

For example /bid max 5000

Increases bid by the increment but stops increment at the specified max the person wants to pay.

So people can still spam /bid max 5000 but their bid won't go above 5000.

Zevira

Devoted Member
Content Member
Builder
May 18, 2016
New command suggestion
/bid max {number}

For example /bid max 5000

Increases bid by the increment but stops increment at the specified max the person wants to pay.

So people can still spam /bid max 5000 but their bid won't go above 5000.
Woud be cool if this coud work.

Top Bottom