Dots Suggestions: Inactive jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dot

Mar 9, 2017
Remove inactive jobs like cook and other jobs where you just put a bunch of stuff in chests and it auto matically makes you money.

Remember the potato economy days where you actually had to be active and play to get rich? Now it's just joining a nation with good farms, level up farmer to 100, buy spawners, and coal, get a good furnace setup and afk your spawners 24/7. Cook as of right now is breaking the economy by putting upto 3,4m$ at 100 players online into the economy 24/7, all people do is afk and talking in chat.

I suggest either removing the cook job entirely or removing the meat from cook so people can't just afk a spawner farm. This change will decrease the lag on the server by having less players just idling for money, and it will increase economy stimulation by having people farm potatoes and selling them to richer players that like the cooking of potatoes as side income. It will also get rid of an insane amount of mobs spawning every tick which causes a lag.

Currently the economy is broken entirely, it's just afk afk afk and go buy stuff from people that haven't reached end-game afking. Removing the cook job or removing certain parts of it will increase server activity significantly and add a lot of fun grinding back into the game. It will also balance out jobs more because people wont be cooking as much and will replace what would be the cooking job with something they find fun.

xBaetella

Jul 15, 2017
I personally disagree with this post because a job such as cooking is not inactive as far as most people go. The job is not all about sitting at a spawner and doing nothing. Most people like me have to work to keep said 'grinder' up and working in the complex manner it is set up in. Cooking is, fueling, refilling and working as a cook. It is not different from real life. You're preparing food. People like me work hard to supply and feed my furnaces to earn my money and level up I don't sit there and count the stars in the sky or the cracks in my ceiling.
I believe that this post is selfish coming from a person that is moderately rich, because the rest of us that actually need this job because we can handle the requirements you don't see what the rest of us do behind the scenes. It is not all about afking because afking doesn't fill the fuel chests, afking is not going to keep an eye out on all your furnaces to make sure everything is full, and working, and smelting fine. Miner does the same thing, you smelt ores, and to get the ores you have to mine for them. Lets say the ores are like pork. You are still active for that pork to spawn and people work hard for these spawners for you to make them of no value, that is not fair. You smelt to make money; that is the end of the story.
For me, I know people and myself that work extremely hard every day for the job cook to earn money and to keep up with our upkeeps, and fees and everything we have to pay for and still be under the wire, not all of us can make money like you think we can.
I also completely disagree with the 'lag' because the server will lag and that is not cooks' fault. You can't pinpoint lag on one thing, the server will restart and it will be fine completely after.
I feel the economy is not broken, cook brings many opportunities for coal sellers, and pork sellers to make money. Not just because all the rich players want their club to be exclusive now that they don't want any other players making as much money as they did so they want it to be shut down; it feels like that. Cook has made so many opportunities for people on the server for lower levels and higher levels to still make a substantial amount of money for them to be able to actually have fun on the server and not be enslaved to work all day to make the bare minimum. There is absolutely no need for a nerf, or a change or anything regarding removing meats to bring your potatoes back because if you want potatoes you can get them don't make the rest of us have to too. Yes you are entitled to your free opinions and I respect this post but for someone with a personal perspective like me that has been struggling for so long this seems entirely too rash and selfish.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2017
I get where everyone is coming from i truly do however, this is how the people making this thread and others of the higher crowd have all made thier money. So are we to believe that now it is laggy because we are all trying to reach that same level it is now not ok to do away with the same jobs that made everyone else rich? Yes the economy is hurting but the staff has put alot into fixing it to including revamping the jobs and how much money they make. Seems like a rash idea but I survived the last jobs reset and barely made it to 100 cook this time and will support whatever the Server owners want to do but I dont agree with doing away with the job. Just my two cents....Not attacking or trying to be mean just adding my opinion.

Amelei

Mar 26, 2017
Canada
I think removing the cooking job would be a little much as people were saying in chat it would cause problems for those who make coal. But I agree that the pork afk thing is a little much. Rather than remove meats entirely I think another nerf would be better along with a slight boost to foods that require farming. Yes people can still afk potato cooking but ultimately they will have to go out and get the potatoes somehow even if they just buy them. This give farmer some love, those who do miner and lumberjack can still sell their coal and cooks aren't making as much money.

Just a random thought too: would adding a cap on spawners in a chunk help as well? Would decrease the amount of money gained from afk cooking with spawners without removing that method entirely

Xemnian

Known Member
Jan 20, 2017
I would have to agree with removing meat from the cooking job as many rich players can just run spawners to get richer and not have to rely on poor players to sell their materials to them. This makes it harder on players getting their start because the option to farm and sell their crops to richer players who use them to cook is no longer viable. Removing meat from the cooking job would stir up the economy a bit more like what happened when potatoes were most viable and allow a greater range of players to profit as opposed to only the players who are already established. I've nothing against AFKing for your money, but it should be done in a way that doesn't isolate the rich players from the poor.

Jul 2, 2017
I've already said what I wanted to for the most part on the server, but I think you should take a look at this.
https://i.gyazo.com/2ca72d215708d96a0666a829e7a8d836.png
It's a link soap posted.
Notice how the top guy in the tick is doing farming?
You have a problem with people getting afk money?
The only part of farmer that basically isn't afk is the setting up part.
The only thing you have to do when you have a farm as big as you said yours was is just hold down 2 buttons with 1800 herbalism (which if you buy for 120$ each it is only 200k) then every 64 blocks move forward one block. That is for pretty much all crops except for a few like: pumpkin, and cocoa beans. And even with those, you run down a straight fucking line and hold one button. "Active"? Yeah right. Farmer makes more money than cook actively as it is pretty obvious. As expected, it makes less money for afking because it isn't active. Now, there will always be some exceptions. If for example, you afked and made 550k a day making 33/hr (which you said you did) and I believe someone said a million in the chat, that would take 17 hours. Keep in mind, even during the summer, people will not stay on this server all day and literally afk every single second of their life to get 7 hrs of sleep and redo this process. Much less during school and work. Depending on how much sleep you get you'd barely be able to pull off 1/3 of 17 hours if you did nothing but play Maestrea when you get home. If they do, they deserve the money because that is quite an ambition to make money. The deal is that you don't make as much money with cook unless you are a work-a-holic. When you have relics being priced at 13k and pig spawners valued for 11k if you are lucky nowadays. 33k/hr doesn't seem that much.

Jul 10, 2017
Disagree.

You talk about bringing an excessive amount of money into the economy, but as it stands, it takes 300 hours of afk cooking with a fully efficient setup and no drops in tps to obtain the Mythic title (at 100 cooking, assuming you are buying none of your meat and none of your coal). All of that money leaves the economy. 300 hours worth.

Besides that, removing cooking, or meats, from the server as a means to make money completely changes the economy. It destroys the values of the assets of many players still working on climbing the ranks who re-invest money they make back into more spawners. By removing meat cooking, pig spawners become essentially worthless, which disproportionately hurts newer players believe it or not, as a larger percentage of their wealth is tied up in their farm efficiency.

It's easy to look at the cooking job and point out problems with it when you already have the ranks and the wealth. A player with the Mythic title and more than $5M doesn't really have a whole lot more they need to work for as far as earning more money and at that point, they are likely maxed out in other jobs and have no real concerns if one of their many means of earning money goes away. They have fallback options, other wealth, and even if they never made another penny on the server (which won't happen anyway) they would be completely okay to buy almost anything they could ever want.

The fact of the matter is that a lot of jobs have some degree of afk to them. In order to farm effectively, you need your farm chunks to be loaded, thus you afk to get them. In order to enchant effectively, you need to be killing mobs which would be silly to do any other way than to sit at a blaze grinder swiping away which takes essentially no attention and also brings more mobs being spawned into the game. Blacksmith is fully afk if you hold one button. Lumberjack you just wait for trees to grow on a massive tree farm and chop them down with feller.

The truth is that a lot of things are afk if you can redstone well or if you have money to fund them. Removing cooking meats helps people who have a ton of money invested elsewhere and hurts those on the growing end of the server who have re-invested into the skill with the expectation that it would be there long term.

If cooking meats is removed, players should be compensated for the lost value in their spawners

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017
Very good points by Swede, Baetella and Rumple, and I want to touch on them. Rumple brought up a good point I hadn't even thought of. Dot, you said you made 550k in a day from cooking. That was only one day (17hrs) irl, and I'm assuming you have lots and lots of hours of playtime. This really just comes down to the fact that you made lots of extra money that way and now that people are starting to catch on you are trying to be selfish and make sure nobody else ends up rich. Also, like Swede said, ranking up makes money go away forever. You can't get it back. For a mythic who is rich, it's a bit of a weird statement considering you came up off of jobs like the one in question, cook. But all of a sudden, now it's too broken. People are choosing it because it's a reliable and consistent job. The average person on Maestrea nowadays aren't making 1 million a day. ESPECIALLY off of cook alone. I'm not sure if that's possible. They don't spend their whole life trying to get money on Maestrea. It's not as big of a deal as you are making it out to be.

_manytrees

Nov 2, 2016
Remove inactive jobs like cook and other jobs where you just put a bunch of stuff in chests and it auto matically makes you money.

Remember the potato economy days where you actually had to be active and play to get rich? Now it's just joining a nation with good farms, level up farmer to 100, buy spawners, and coal, get a good furnace setup and afk your spawners 24/7. Cook as of right now is breaking the economy by putting upto 3,4m$ at 100 players online into the economy 24/7, all people do is afk and talking in chat.

I suggest either removing the cook job entirely or removing the meat from cook so people can't just afk a spawner farm. This change will decrease the lag on the server by having less players just idling for money, and it will increase economy stimulation by having people farm potatoes and selling them to richer players that like the cooking of potatoes as side income. It will also get rid of an insane amount of mobs spawning every tick which causes a lag.

Currently the economy is broken entirely, it's just afk afk afk and go buy stuff from people that haven't reached end-game afking. Removing the cook job or removing certain parts of it will increase server activity significantly and add a lot of fun grinding back into the game. It will also balance out jobs more because people wont be cooking as much and will replace what would be the cooking job with something they find fun.
I don't think meat needs to be removed, if you want to slow down the cook economy a bit just remove the feature that lets lanterns shoot pigs out. Though I don't see the big fuss about this. The furnaces still need fuel so there is not a lot of pure afking happening there. I have been on the server for almost a year now and I have leveled cook to 100 twice and I am about to level farming and mining for 2nd time too. My end goal is and has always been to get mythic for fly to make building easier. Though I will admit it seems to take me a lot longer to get there then others. It will take me just about a year on my own to achieve mythic. If people want to join cities and do this faster that is their choice. My question is how many pig spawners do you have Dot? How much money have you made from them?

Dot

Mar 9, 2017
I personally disagree with this post because a job such as cooking is not inactive as far as most people go. The job is not all about sitting at a spawner and doing nothing. Most people like me have to work to keep said 'grinder' up and working in the complex manner it is set up in. Cooking is, fueling, refilling and working as a cook. It is not different from real life. You're preparing food. People like me work hard to supply and feed my furnaces to earn my money and level up I don't sit there and count the stars in the sky or the cracks in my ceiling.
Actually, if I understand this correctly you'd make more money if this change would be implemented. Instead of afking pork, you'd have your cooker in the middle of a potato farm, where you could harvest potatos and gain farmer exp and money, cook those potatoes, and make a profit from cook with those potatoes.

I dont agree with doing away with the job.
I don't want to see the job go either, I just added that part in to make sure everyone's views were in there. I want the meats removed, because removing the meats will make it considerably easier to newer players to actually make money by farming potatoes and selling them to richer people who can't be bothered to farm potatoes.

I would have to agree with removing meat from the cooking job as many rich players can just run spawners to get richer and not have to rely on poor players to sell their materials to them. This makes it harder on players getting their start because the option to farm and sell their crops to richer players who use them to cook is no longer viable. Removing meat from the cooking job would stir up the economy a bit more like what happened when potatoes were most viable and allow a greater range of players to profit as opposed to only the players who are already established. I've nothing against AFKing for your money, but it should be done in a way that doesn't isolate the rich players from the poor.
This my dude. This.

I think removing the cooking job would be a little much as people were saying in chat it would cause problems for those who make coal. But I agree that the pork afk thing is a little much. Rather than remove meats entirely I think another nerf would be better along with a slight boost to foods that require farming. Yes people can still afk potato cooking but ultimately they will have to go out and get the potatoes somehow even if they just buy them. This give farmer some love, those who do miner and lumberjack can still sell their coal and cooks aren't making as much money.
I'd like to see the meat section of the job go away. It creates a bubble where the rich gets richer, and the poor struggles harder to have their shot at getting rich. Coal blocks would still be a viable item to sell because people would be cooking potatoes.

I've already said what I wanted to for the most part on the server, but I think you should take a look at this.
https://i.gyazo.com/2ca72d215708d96a0666a829e7a8d836.png
It's a link soap posted.
Notice how the top guy in the tick is doing farming?
You have a problem with people getting afk money?
Did you take a look at that? Because 5/7 of the people in that picture are there because of ''Smelt: Grilled Pork''.

If cooking meats is removed, players should be compensated for the lost value in their spawners
So the only real reason you don't want this to happen is because you'd lose out on a lot of money from it? That's life. you don't see the people that had their titles considerably get reduced in value, or soon to be their relics considerably reduced in value get refunded do you? You don't see the mythics that got mythic for 12,2m get refunded their 2,2m when they changed it to 10m. Sometimes you just lose money, and also you've probably made profit off of your investment in spawners already.

This really just comes down to the fact that you made lots of extra money that way and now that people are starting to catch on you are trying to be selfish and make sure nobody else ends up rich.
The majority of my money was made from farmer, and enchanter and trading. I started doing cook when I hit mythic, because that is the endgame of the server, and that endgame dosen't provide any gameplay other than chatting.

xBaetella

Jul 15, 2017
Literally this is the problem you only want it gone because you said and I quote "I'd like to see the meat section of the job go away. It creates a bubble where the rich gets richer, and the poor struggles harder to have their shot at getting rich. Coal blocks would still be a viable item to sell because people would be cooking potatoes." That my dear is called selfish, please be considerate of the other players you're labeling "poor"

Dot

Mar 9, 2017
Literally this is the problem you only want it gone because you said and I quote "I'd like to see the meat section of the job go away. It creates a bubble where the rich gets richer, and the poor struggles harder to have their shot at getting rich. Coal blocks would still be a viable item to sell because people would be cooking potatoes." That my dear is called selfish, please be considerate of the other players you're labeling "poor"
I think you misunderstood, I meant that the current system creates a bubble where the rich gets richer, and the poor struggles harder to have their shot at getting rich. Implementing my changes would make it considerably easier to get rich due to potatoes becoming a good viable option of money again.

Jul 10, 2017
Way to ignore the entirety of my post and take just the last line, which I debated not including anyway.

The point is it isn't as game breaking to the economy as you make it out to be. We change the cooking job: then what? People afk their farm chunks for their crops to grow. The richest players control the potato market with massive farms. Hoppers feeding coal and potatoes into furnaces still kill tps. AFK jobs still exist on the server. The economy isn't fixed.

My point about the investment into spawners is that a player with $500k and no mythic title losing $400k value from pig spawners that they invested in is far different than a player with $10M and mythic losing $700k in pig spawners. It disproportionately hurts the "newer" players.

Besides that, you ignored literally every other point I made in my post. This isn't about me or anyone else losing some money. This is about you thinking you know this grand solution that will fix the server, when, in reality, the server isn't broken. The economy really is quite active. There are always players running around the shops. This doesn't solve the AFK issue. And a new player who thinks they are going to become an active part of the economy with a 10 chunk potato farm is just kidding themselves.

xTusa

Aug 18, 2016
Malta
Actualy the 'Rich' have many spawners so they dont buy any materials except for maybe coal
if meat was removed and potatoes would be buffed, 'poor' players would get money from Farming potatoes + selling potatoes ^^

Dot

Mar 9, 2017
Way to ignore the entirety of my post and take just the last line, which I debated not including anyway.

The point is it isn't as game breaking to the economy as you make it out to be. We change the cooking job: then what? People afk their farm chunks for their crops to grow. The richest players control the potato market with massive farms. Hoppers feeding coal and potatoes into furnaces still kill tps. AFK jobs still exist on the server. The economy isn't fixed.

My point about the investment into spawners is that a player with $500k and no mythic title losing $400k value from pig spawners that they invested in is far different than a player with $10M and mythic losing $700k in pig spawners. It disproportionately hurts the "newer" players.

Besides that, you ignored literally every other point I made in my post. This isn't about me or anyone else losing some money. This is about you thinking you know this grand solution that will fix the server, when, in reality, the server isn't broken. The economy really is quite active. There are always players running around the shops. This doesn't solve the AFK issue. And a new player who thinks they are going to become an active part of the economy with a 10 chunk potato farm is just kidding themselves.
To be completely honest with you, I couldn't be bothered to read trough your post a second time to actually find something to write on. Also, it's not just cook I think should be changed I think Blacksmith and other afk jobs should be patched aswell. The reason I want to keep parts of the cook job afkable is because it'll make sure newer players have a good shot at becoming rich more easily.

xBaetella

Jul 15, 2017
To be completely honest with you, I couldn't be bothered to read trough your post a second time to actually find something to write on. Also, it's not just cook I think should be changed I think Blacksmith and other afk jobs should be patched aswell. The reason I want to keep parts of the cook job afkable is because it'll make sure newer players have a good shot at becoming rich more easily.
Honestly, In a fair sense you're coming from the right place but there is really nothing wrong with towny or its economy and I think this should all be over with. I agree with TheRollingSwede

Jul 2, 2017
Same here, you didn't reply to any of my other points. Just the one about the gyazo pic. Yes, I know that 5/7 are from cooking. But the one who is making the most is the farmer, who "actively" works. He is well above every other one. My point was that regular-joe cooks don't make as much as you think.

Dot

Mar 9, 2017
Same here, you didn't reply to any of my other points. Just the one about the gyazo pic. Yes, I know that 5/7 are from cooking. But the one who is making the most is the farmer, who "actively" works. He is well above every other one. My point was that regular-joe cooks don't make as much as you think.
I have currently almost 10m in my bank from cooking, so I don't think you realize how much people make from cook.

Jul 2, 2017
You didn't even read my post. I said regular-joe cooks. Not people who spend 17 hours a day making half a mill. "My point was that regular-joe cooks don't make as much as you think."
Oh really, you have 10,000,000 from cooking alone making 33k/hr?
That's 300+ hours/almost 13 days straight.
I've only played 12 days on this server.
Does that make any sense to you?
You've spent more time than I've even been on this server afking cook to make 10 million.
Go for it. You deserve it. Most people aren't afking 17 hours a day. For all this talk about people "taking advantage of cook" it seems like you are the one who is doing it the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom