Main World Reset for Caves and Cliffs Update

Would You Want a Full World Reset For The Caves And Cliffs Update Next Summer?

• Total voters

KingWither

Feb 21, 2016
I just thought of another unique solution that might actually be a possibility but will require testing. When Caves and Cliffs comes out, we could try to use the "Shadow seed" version of the current Maestrea world and world edit all active towns to their respective places. A shadow seed is found by adding a specific number to the seed, which creates the same biome layout but produces a different generation of everything else. Cave's and Cliffs might change areas drastically, but it also might not. It would be something to look into.

Also, we could also set non-claimed chunks to regenerate with new terrain if the terrain doesn't change as much, even if the server has to have a week of downtime.

Each of these probably won't be possible if terrain changes by quite a bit in the future, but these are just ideas.

mocharaven

Jun 27, 2019
I would love a fresh map to play on but ONLY if I can get my builds/town over. I have put a lot into the town and would be very sad if I lose it. Honestly, if you were able to transfer the town - from top to underground bottom - and put it anywhere that would be awesome too.. Fresh location.

Jul 17, 2020
My concern would be losing my town, Not so much the buildings, that would suck but whatever. But more so the claims I have available. I don’t want to have to rebuy towny plots to get my town back to full size

Foxgguy2001

Known Member
Aug 25, 2018
Annville, KY
steamcommunity.com
This has been out there a while now. Have staff discussed this and the feasibility of possibly moving 50 or 100+ towns to a new map? What does something like this take per town, 15-20 minutes?

If it's just not realistic, maybe Elliot's idea sounds like a pretty good compromise. I wouldn't vote for the complete reset if I know we were going to lose a significant percentage of active players.

Apr 13, 2020
www.jmusselman.dev
NEW IDEA (NO FORCED RESET / VOLUNTARY RESET FOR PLAYER ONLY)
Was restless and decided to wipe my test server. I decided why not test a idea i had earlier last week.

MY plan will keep Mae and Ely in tact with possibly no changes except a new community meeting area.

MY PLAN:

Step one Create a seperate spawn world from all other worlds. (Should be super easy if resources can handle it)
In my vision /tut will be a confusing maze of the past. When a new player spawns in they have to walk down a path with the main points of what was in /tut down the path as holograms but not all of it as it would be overwhelming. Once they reach the end of said path the next part of my idea will be present.

When arriving at the end of the path there will be portals similar to the one in /spawn that leads to dungeons but not as grand. They will be to each of the servers presently existing and with room to spare new ones can be added with each major change in terain generation (so fundamental stuff not biomes). Each of these worlds aside from the terrain generation (1.13(mae/ely) vs 1.17(???) etc) would have complete feature parity so that all that matters when joining one is the community you choose to play with.

This area could also be integrated in /spawn so that its like a uncovered cave (that would be perfect). The world sizes could be reduced in the new worlds to save on resources and wouldn't be as a adverse effect if new worlds are opened with every major version.

With my implementation only a few things would change but nothing should be lost in this for current players. IF a current player wants a reset they can leave their stuff behind auc it off and give away their money. Staff could remove their rank upon request.

This may be edited often to add detail so check it often.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
I just thought of another unique solution that might actually be a possibility but will require testing. When Caves and Cliffs comes out, we could try to use the "Shadow seed" version of the current Maestrea world and world edit all active towns to their respective places. A shadow seed is found by adding a specific number to the seed, which creates the same biome layout but produces a different generation of everything else. Cave's and Cliffs might change areas drastically, but it also might not. It would be something to look into.

Also, we could also set non-claimed chunks to regenerate with new terrain if the terrain doesn't change as much, even if the server has to have a week of downtime.

Each of these probably won't be possible if terrain changes by quite a bit in the future, but these are just ideas.
In other words we migrate all existing towns to the new updated map? If this is the case, then you have my support for a reset

Jul 27, 2020
The idea is to merge for total feature parity but keep the two worlds for improved performance (split the load between both). Elyssia isn't just around because it has some content Mae doesn't, so regardless of this we'll still have both Elyssia and Maestrea hence my idea to have one be the new map and one not rather than both just being the same thing.
Maybe we can do a compromise, Maestrea will be the towny world that is permanent and does not reset, while Elyssia will resets every major update / scheduled reset. With Elyssia resets our server dont have much to lose, not like there are even people playing

Feb 5, 2021
This may be a strange idea, but to protect the current towns and items we do have, while acting on this potential update idea, I have one somewhat complicated suggestion.

I have no idea how you all could possibly go about doing this, but what if you...expanded on the current world and updated that expansion. I know our Mae Towny world is small, so perhaps we could do well by making it a "Discover and Conquer" instead of "We moving from Cali to Everglades, Florida" vibe, you know?

Again, not entirely sure how to do that, but simply, I am suggesting we update an expanded area around our existing towny world of 15k by 15k. Perhaps expand to 30k by 30k, because I've noticed a growth of returning and new players, and we will need a bigger map to sustain them while keeping the existing players from any restart problems.

hadrack

Known Member
Sep 12, 2018
I ve been building my towny (Aquilleia) since the last reset of the map which happened 3/4 years ago maybe? (dont quote me on that :3). Honnestly I ve experienced towney servers, which reset to profit and to reset economy, however Maestrea isnt like that. I want to see the new minecraft features on Maestrea as well, and I d rather see the server survive and thrive, than my towny. That said, I invested a ton of time and effort into my towny, so I posted below, the two best scenarios, for a future in which the server is updatet and the map reset. (keep in mind I dont actualy know if they are do-able in reality, they are loosely based on previous suggestions from this forum thread).

1. : The server is updated, and active towneys are pasted on to the new world. I imagine this would take a lot of work, if it is at all do-able, so I would be very willing to buy a new hypotethycal *item* in the Maestrea store that allows you to copy and paste some ammount of chunks from the old server to the new one.

2. : Only Elysia is updated, or the towneys from Maestrea/Elysia are pasted into a *warp type seperate world*. This world I imagine wouldnt be updated?

I gave no attention to transferral of items and such, i know for some this is a priority, however can be solved with backpack/enderchests and shulker boxes.....
I think? Honnestly im kindof greedy and want the best of both worlds, i want to experience all the new features while still haveing my towney in the same world, however when it comes down to it, the bottom line for me is; I just dont wanna loose all this work I ve done :3.

Regards, Hadrack.​

Mar 27, 2020
I think its important to recognise that the update also increases build limit dramatically, and that even if we ignore the new worldgen, maestrea will have to reset eventually to allow for more build limit. I think doing this sooner than later would be the better choice.

Or depending on what 1.18 will be, wait until then. Although 1.17 will surely bring players back to Minecraft, and in turn may bring players to Maestrea.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Again, not entirely sure how to do that, but simply, I am suggesting we update an expanded area around our existing towny world of 15k by 15k. Perhaps expand to 30k by 30k, because I've noticed a growth of returning and new players, and we will need a bigger map to sustain them while keeping the existing players from any restart problems.
There you have it. Simple compromise! Then whenever we /rtp it takes us to new regions

Mar 27, 2020
There you have it. Simple compromise! Then whenever we /rtp it takes us to new regions
I don't know if it would be possible to have that, considering the 1.17+ worlds will be much taller (+64 sky limit and +64 underground limit), so depending on how Mojang implement it, it might not be possible to 'add' the extra world border, per say.

Unless the team will want to copy and paste all of Maestrea onto a new world, but I think that will be rather difficult.

Jul 27, 2020
I don't know if it would be possible to have that, considering the 1.17+ worlds will be much taller (+64 sky limit and +64 underground limit), so depending on how Mojang implement it, it might not be possible to 'add' the extra world border, per say.

Unless the team will want to copy and paste all of Maestrea onto a new world, but I think that will be rather difficult.
You are right, I just read now about the deeper and higher worlds. I feel like if we keep the map as is, sooner or later the map will be obsolete after a few more updates and incompatible with later versions. I would choose the latter, where towns will be copy pasted into a new world, with all player data carried over. When 1.17 comes out the staff can do some trial runs first in copy pasting towns before doing an actual update. I personally am against a reset, as this will cause the server to lose a current players. Let alone the difficulty Maestrea still experiences in attracting newcomers

Mar 27, 2020
I feel if anything, adopting 1.17 quickly and managing to transfer a lot of the towny builds over would be rather beneficial to Maestreas playerbase. Maybe if Maestrea runs ads for the server (which Ive seen other servers do), the playerbase may increase again. Maestrea does have a lot to offer in unique and amazing content, so it would be a shame if it was held back by being stuck on 1.16 version of the game.

I'm not sure about the logistics of transferring builds over to a new worlds, but if the staff manage to trial it out and get everything to work in the snapshots, and transfer everything smoothly when the update arrives, this would be a huge positive.

One thing that I would say though, is that currently the economy and resources are rather inflated, which isn't too attractive to newer players of course. So this could be taken into account as well somehow?

Jul 27, 2020
Maybe if Maestrea runs ads for the server (which Ive seen other servers do), the playerbase may increase again.
I agree with this. We need more ads. Like aggressive ones. I think I suggested this before but it was shot down (forgot the reason why)
One thing that I would say though, is that currently the economy and resources are rather inflated, which isn't too attractive to newer players of course. So this could be taken into account as well somehow?
Economy fixes are great too

Jul 27, 2020
With each new snapshot it seems that resetting the world is becoming more and more of an obligation.
I really hope it doesnt happen. In a scenario where a reset is surely going to happen, I will lose motivation developing my town (or even going online) knowing that it will be gone in a few months.

Top Bottom