Player Economy

hayybails

Mar 18, 2020
I love the idea of a player economy. Gets people interacting with each other. That's what multiplayer Minecraft is all about.

But this only works when the player economy is active. Pretty much every shop is out of stock. I've been to each of the player warps. Also, the majority of shops are selling custom server items... not much in terms of vanilla shops out there.

It could be that the users just aren't interested in the player shops anymore. Not sure how it became so scarce. The economy is essentially completely taking place on /ah and /auction.

I propose we either re-invigorate player shops, or provide an admin-shop for vanilla blocks. I am personally a player that likes to buy interesting blocks to build with, and I'm guessing I'm not alone. What do you all think?

Xemnian

Known Member
Jan 20, 2017
Really as this is a player economy it should be up to the players to fix this rather than the server staff. Exchange sells vanilla items but it’s up to the players to sell those items back to keep stocks, but nobody seems to want to put in that work. The mall which is all but dead these days did the same on a smaller scale and shop owners tended to restock regularly but like I said it’s a bit dead these days and another should be made by a player to replace it if the demand is really there. The more the server interferes with the economy the more prices are decided by it rather than supply and demand. I would rather not have an admin shop exist personally but if you feel there’s demand for these items you should open and maintain a shop for them

hayybails

Mar 18, 2020
Appreciate the input.

I am not interested in opening a shop for the items that I am looking to purchase. I suppose that's really the case-in-point. Nobody is interested in stocking or setting up shops. If there is no interest, then there is no economy. Most people are interested in dungeons and obtaining rare gear. The crux of the argument is "players should be the ones to fix it," but the problem with that argument is: nobody is doing that. If nobody wants to make/stock shops, then so be it, but then there is an opportunity for the server to add a shop to make up for the lack of interest by the players.

ElliotJD

Admin
Staff member
Content Member
Admin
Jan 12, 2019
England
I've just had a quick look at 3 vanilla blocks: Oak logs, glass and stone, and all 3 have shops set up to buy and sell them in the /shop alone. I realise that doesn't cover every building block in the game but they're strong base items that can be crafted into many other materials ideal for building.

Could I ask which blocks you're looking for that you're unable to find any stock for?

Xemnian

Known Member
Jan 20, 2017
We used to have a wool shop not sure what happened to it, wool is easy to get yourself with the right setup as for concrete and glass sand can’t just be generated and digger doesn’t pay too well so nobody goes after it. And same with dyes not many people out there selling flowers

Kl0zer

Relic Renegade
Staff member
Content Member
Overseer
Mar 30, 2019
Michigan, United States
Hey there! Thank you for the suggestion. The Economy Team has discussed and we have come to the conclusion that the addition of an Admin Shop for vanilla blocks would interfere with a player-based economy. It would discourage those who want to make player shops. It would also mess up the supply and demand of the items that were sold since players would have an infinite supply to purchase from. Odds are the reason a player shop for the mentioned blocks hasn’t been made is due to the cost and time of getting the things to sell and setting up shop versus the demand for said items and blocks. Also adding an Admin Shop for those blocks would eliminate any need to go and get them for the buyer’s self. Without an Admin Shop, it means people could hire newer players, or any players willing, to get it for them, which would, in turn, stimulate the player economy.

When ever i need a specific or bulk amount of items, i throw out a contract to collect said items. Generally I have what I need on hand, so theres no need for me to visit a shop. Players who have been playing longer than I are probably more equipped for stuff like this.

X_Storm

Nov 19, 2016
SeaWorld ;)
Since I builded biggest build on server I can say, for right amount of money yoiu will get whatever you need, building 1150 chunks build from bedrock up to 225 out of concrete was big thing on server, I know lots of players was working for me to supply me with my demand for concrete, and at that time IK all shops with concrete was constantly filled up.
RN im buying tons of quartz slabs, I get all I need, tho i pay 5K/stack at my shop, and players do earn money from that, as well from selling me daylight detectors ( can not remember price rn), I was buying a lot of jungle leaves as well, without any admin shop, so i will say NO to admin shop, if anyone ask me.
At end would like to say, yea for newcomers it is a bit hard to get large amount of some materials beacouse you need to overpay to make big interest into getting them, so i can suggest to any newcomer that likes to build, 1st do some Jobs to get easy money income, then earn and build, Will go easy

Jul 10, 2017
This is why I support a wipe, not because I wanna take away for hoarders but because the main dedicated player base already basically has everything, pardon the rare relic etc... so there is no one but new players who wish/need to buy things but how can they buy things since they are new and not making anywhere near as much money as the established players. Leave basically a depressingly realistic representation of IRL economics the rich 1% (I am over exaggerating but not entirely) and the remainder 99% who feel IMO can easily feel overwhelmed being so incredibly far behind, and with SOOO much content to learn and do.

Ultimately it is as Xem said it is player driven but I do feel we could do some work to make it a bit more player friend. I remember when the server was still fairly new, eldritch was brand spanking new :D and you had to literally plan ahead to be on to snag a store when its rent expired.

If not a wipe of the entire server, wipe the economy part, maybe give the Top bal holders like a rare relic/title/reward for being so rich to make then less upset (assuming they are) and making the economy a bit harder to earn money passively so there is more trade and less just passive farming by ones self.

IDK there are probably some flaws in my idea but I know for a fact the economy is RIP atm specially for new players and it makes me sad :c

Jul 10, 2017
I like how thats the one thing you got from my post xD

Well quitters gunna quit my dude no helping that :p then again I am basically a masochist so double :p:p

I feel if a server has a real solid community it can basically survive about anything, not saying it would not hurt but it'd be like ripping off a band aid.

Side note: My main gripe and desire for a wipe comes from the economy being so incredibly in the dumps, if we could fix that without a wipe Id\'d be plenty happy.

Xemnian

Known Member
Jan 20, 2017
I don’t feel like the economy on the server is bad at all, our community for the most parts just rather lazy (no offense just an observation) and very few people want to collect materials. I’ve been personally working on a project that’s required an absolute ridiculous amount of TNT, glass, smoothstone, etc and while very few people have been offering these goods it’s still easy to obtain anything you need from the pwarp shops and their owners (Eptic_ is a godsend). People just need to be willing to collect resources manually and anything that can’t be fully automated is fair market for people to make good money beyond their jobs limit. I’m really shocked that some niches are still empty

Apr 16, 2020
The jobs make more than enough income for most people. Therefore most don't have a reason to collect mass amounts of materials for sale outside of their own needs. I would say this is the primary reason. The secondary reason being that items that have a market are difficult to impossible to get, i.e. slimes and colored wools, due to the spawn rules. A tertiary reason would be that dungeon drops could sell for significant amounts, and being that seems to be wha the server does most, this in itself will make sufficient income.

Jul 10, 2017
Yea Cybot I see that. 100% agree with ya there if we could re-balance that I feel it would make a heck of a difference in revitalizing the economy. Or making it actually useful again.

Side note tho it would be super unfair for new peps since everyone else would already have moneys saved up. So like maybe not wipe economy but change balances to reflect more accurately with new currency value

I.E 1,000,000 becomes 100,000 etc so you would still technically be rich but not OP as BALLS rich

Apr 16, 2020
Great idea Kilo! If income from jobs is adjusted to give 10% of what it currently gives, then we reduced current savings by the same ratio, as well as the upkeep/taxes of towns, then we are incentivized to make different choices. I can grind a job for 30 minutes to an hour and make 4k, or I can gather valuable materials in that time and make 10-15k. Currently why would someone spend 30 minutes to an hour to make 10-15k, when in the same time they could make 40-50k grinding their jobs. In turn certain issues with spawns and materials gathering would get more attention as more people try to gather them, and the prices of dungeon items would also eventually come down.

ElliotJD

Admin
Staff member
Content Member
Admin
Jan 12, 2019
England
If income and balances were reduced by 90% then the item worth would reduce my 90% also meaning everything stays the same except divided by 10. We do already penalise the richest players since our taxes are a percentage of your total balance

Top Bottom