Some Suggestions to Improve the QOL of Maestrea Towny Server

May 22, 2021
hey, this is my first post here on the forums - you might know me on the server as KArtista317, or Kars as a nickname. Apologies if anything in this post is unclear, I will do my best to explain my point and I hope others will contribute to the discussion.

I joined this server not too long ago looking for multiplayer Towny servers to have fun in, and Maestrea is pretty good. Although the time that I have joined now is a lot different from a year or so ago, I myself am enjoying it. However, I have heard from other players' accounts of things they would like to see to improve the server, so I decided to compile my personal suggestion of ideas as I was playing on this server for several weeks.

Do keep in mind most of these suggestions are mostly Towny related (Maestrea/Elyssia) than Dungeons or Skyblock, since I have not played on those other gamemodes as much so forgive me for my lack of knowledge.

1. Compensations to the Players for Fix Issues/Down Servers
I bring this up due to the situation very recently of the infamous "kick" bug that has affected many players. I think that it would be a good idea to give a sort of compensation for those that have been affected by the bug; it lets the community know that the moderators and admins are working hard to help make their experience enjoyable and want them to stay and keep playing. An example I took this from was Genshin Impact: when a large update (leading to down servers) or bug fix was complete, rewards would be given to all players for compensation and thanking them for sticking by and not abandoning the game. I think this server could definitely use this to bring and keep more players as it motivates them to stay in the forms of stuff like essences, bottles, maybe a crate key or something of decent value. It also brings me to my next point...

2. More Immediate Social Communication between Staff and Players
I can't say for everyone regarding the same social interaction with staff - I have been here for only a month or so. So far for me, the staff that is active have been very helpful and fair (bless you Alex and Koakumoo). When I had some items needing to be fixed, I was directed to a mod that could help me and in a day or so, everything was working well. The communication doesn't need to be lightspeed - I understand these mods have a job and life not in Minecraft and it is totally fine - but if there are certain problems/issues needing addressing, it would be a good idea to have communication quickly and easily to get to/understand. It would also be a good idea to clear up situations, grudges or issues that others may have had.

3. Improved Rewards/Changes for Meteorites
When I first got on this server and heard what the deal was with meteorites, I was super excited to go out and search for them. I still go out finding them and harvesting the rewards right now. But I think that an improvement in meteorites would encourage other players to participate in these fun, unique activities. The rewards they give right now are vanilla ores, soul gems, crystals, light dust (?) and geodes (mostly for the Trader job). They are good for beginner players no doubt and the custom items are definitely useful, but other than that that's all they offer. For players who are more advanced in the game and have many ores and items gathered from other places, it doesn't really incentivize them to continue doing so. I think if they offered more precious rewards such as fragments, entropy shards, shady bottles, a key or even the occasional relic/arcana, it would make the meteorites much more fun to grind.

I also think that giving a sort of challenge for the meteorite rewards would change things up a bit; such as spawning some harder mobs surrounding it that must be defeated, or providing an uncommonly used item as a key to "unlock" it. One could even make use of the relics and custom items this server has created over the years and have a good idea as to what can be used.

4. Blocks Rewards/Exploitation???
While I was mining the blocks earlier to kill time and get some rewards, I noticed something that irked me a little bit. The places (1st, 2nd, 3rd) are determined by how many times a player breaks a certain block out of the total: the more breaks = the better rewards. But when I looked closer, I saw that this system could be cheesed for the benefit of one person. For example, an Ender block with 1,000 total breaks to be made. A person could mine half those blocks AND break a little extra more, immediately taking the 1st place reward. They are free to leave because their spot can't be overtaken. Thus it makes it impossible for another person to overtake them since more than half those blocks are broken and they'll end up in either 2nd or 3rd place (decent rewards, but not as good as 1st place) for mining all the remaining blocks. It might seem like a personal thing to me tbh, but it annoyed me a little thinking about it and how unfair it seemed - to get the best reward you have to get there immediately when it refreshes and do your usual routine of breaking more than half blocks. Maybe I'm just making a mountain out of a molehill, but it's something to consider. I'd like to know if anything can be done to circumvent this loophole - maybe a person staying and mining it more can get a "streak" of sorts and gain more blocks/points earned, giving them a chance to take first place rather than someone who mines and just leaves.

5. Custom Cook Recipe (and Job Addition) Suggestions
I saw this thread mentioned a year ago by FracturedDream and I really liked the idea; it expands the Cooking job with something unique added - custom food recipes with lore and special effects given. I think this should be brought up and give the people a chance to suggest some recipes. This goes not only for this job in particular, but for all the jobs that could use more additions that would motivate players to join it. Personally I really like the food/cooking aspect in servers, so this would be a great opportunity to make it Maestrea more unique. Maybe even create an Overcooked-esque minigame mode?

6. Immediate fixing of Old/Broken Items
This is similar to the 2nd point, but I think it is crucial that things that are broken/old should get fixed quickly and immediately instead of stacks of unstackable custom items laying around being wasted. I know there are things like /olditems and /fixer, but it may not always work and I don't want to have to keep going to a mod and asking them to replace this thing with one that works all the time. Like I said I know mods arent on 24/7 and I don't expect them too; maybe an announcement calling for a collection of broken items to be fixed once a week or so could energize players and let them know the staff is helping out and doing their best.

7. Minigame Modes, Challenges, Competitions, etc?
Something that hasn't been done before in the history of the server - maybe a fully unarmed brawl, or archery/pvp/last man standing competition, or something making use of the custom items? This question will probably be answered with a plethora of things the server has done before (I do not know too much of recent events), but just a thought.

8. Asking the Community Themselves for Suggestions
Self explanatory - ask the community what they want changed/added or what can be improved and fixed (additions, ban appeals, ways to invite more people to the server) to keep everyone in close contact.

That's all I have on my plate that I can list so far. Other responses from more veteran members are welcome and I hope a higher up administration staff member will see and discuss this soon.

And just to add, you do not need thousands of players every day to be famous and popular to not become a "dying" server". Times change and it's okay to move on; just make the remaining time left a fun memory for a loyal fanbase of several hundred people to remember.

Mietm

Cranky Old Lady
Staff member
Admin
May 2, 2018
The Netherlands
Hey there - just wanted to let you know that we've seen your post - but it will take a bit of time to compile an official server response based on our capabilities, time zones and availability.

KingWither

Feb 21, 2016
Liking some of these ideas! Quite a few have been suggested in the past, ranging back recently to several years back. We definitely need a lot of QoL work and fixes.

Also, some of this stuff already exists (or did exist in the past). We have/had minigames in hub for example, but I haven't seen or heard of people using it for quite a while. Maybe if we moved it to towny and provided rewards to winners or a scoreboard with high scores/rewards/seasons more people would use them. We also had some surveys in the recent past, but I have zero clue what the results of those were or how it was implemented or considered.

I've always been supportive of players getting what they want for the direction of the server instead of the vision or final decisions of a handful of staff or less. The issue has been "balancing" or "that would be too hard/don't know how/it's not possible/too busy" etc. There's a test server for a reason! Try some cool or crazy stuff!

I'm happy to see people pushing for improvements, it gives me hope for our futures :D

Last edited:
May 22, 2021
Liking some of these ideas! Quite a few have been suggested in the past, ranging back recently to several years back. We definitely need a lot of QoL work and fixes.

Also, some of this stuff already exists (or did exist in the past). We have/had minigames in hub for example, but I haven't seen or heard of people using it for quite a while. Maybe if we moved it to towny and provided rewards to winners or a scoreboard with high scores/rewards/seasons more people would use them. We also had some surveys in the recent past, but I have zero clue what the results of those were or how it was implemented or considered.

I've always been supportive of players getting what they want for the direction of the server instead of the vision or final decisions of a handful of staff or less. The issue has been "balancing" or "that would be too hard/don't know how/it's not possible/too busy" etc. There's a test server for a reason! Try some cool or crazy stuff!

I'm happy to see people pushing for improvements, it gives me hope for our futures :D
Thanks man, glad to see some fellow support among the community! Your suggestion post before actually inspired me to write this one as well, so thank you!

Mietm

Cranky Old Lady
Staff member
Admin
May 2, 2018
The Netherlands
Apologies on the delay of this response, getting a single, cohesive response that is acceptable to all our staff is a challenging task!

We took some time as a content and staff team to discuss your ideas, below is the official server response:

1) We love this suggestion and we've started implementing this!

That said, this is something we would prefer to do only rarely and only for issues that cause a big impact (like this kick bug).

2) This is part of what our ticket system is for, as they are often the best way to get the attention of upper-level staff members who often have their heads buried in the plugins and "behind-the-scenes" items for the server. We do try our best to have some sort of attention for tickets within 24 hours, but sometimes the people who can handle those issues just aren't around for a bit - or sometimes time zones make it impossible to catch a person when you're online. If it is simply "Staff needs to socialize with the player base more" - this isn't really something we can promise or enforce.

3) Meteorites are generally intended for the lower level players to give them a boost - but due to flyspeeds, sethomes and other such things, it's usually the more advanced players who find them and loot them first. We are open to a conversation about changing and evolving the meteorites as part of our jobs rework (that is ongoing) - specifically it would go with the mining and trading job if you want to focus your ideas.

4) Unfortunately this is not exploitation, it is simply how the blocks function with this particular plugin. We will need to do a little bit more investigation on the capabilities of our block plugin to give a more detailed answer for what options are available.

5) There is a jobs rework in progress (and has been for some time, sorry). You are absolutely welcome to continue to make suggestions in the old thread as it is not yet closed. The current ideas have been changed pretty regularly while they're in development and testing. It has not yet achieved its final form.

6) There are simply too many broken items floating around to try to fix them all at once. Our ticket system is still the best way to let us know you need help and it allows staff to fix those items at their earliest convenience rather than having to wait (potentially for a very long time) for the right people to be online at the same time as each other.

7) The reality is we are not a minigame server. We will have weekly events coming back in (hopefully) June, as was previously announced in our "upcoming events" thread.

8) Unfortunately, there are some items we simply will not ask the community for feedback on. One of those items is ban appeals - that will always be an intra-staff discussion. We do, in fact, have a server voter channel where people can and do have direct influence on what is going on in Maestrea. We've been trying to be more active in that by having our server community choose build event winners and choose the direction of some event rewarding methods.

If you're interested in joining our ranks of voters, take a look at the #applications-for-voting in the Voting section of the Maestrean Discord! We hope this gives you at least some idea of directions we're heading on this server.

If you'd like further clarification or have other questions, don't hesitate to ask! Your constructive feedback is appreciated and are looking forward to other great ideas coming from our community!

Top Bottom