The appearent restriction of drunk chat

Nov 15, 2018
I recieved a warning for not listening to staff
and I would like to question the reason for it.

Basically, I was drunk. I had just brewed a couple bottles of
vodka that I was supposed to submit, but I decided instead
to drink them. This was my first time experiencing what it is
like being drunk on Maestrea.

While being drunk, I started chatting with another guy. This
went on for a while until I noticed a bunch of red text in the
chat. Appearently I had been given a warning and a 10 minute
mute for not complying to the orders of a staff member.

So why am I making a thread about this? Well first of all, the
reason for me recieving a warning was for "not listening to a
staff member". Taking notice of every message that staff
members send is not a rule. Unless they are able to alert me
in a better way than having a grey name and writing in white
text in the global chat then I take all responsibility for not
noticing the staff.
Second of all since making an effort to noticing messages
from staff members is not obligatory means that I was
unfairly penalised for an unwritten rule.

As far as my understanding of the rules go, there is an
unwritten rule that enforces drunken players to write
within brackets if they wish to send messages in the
global chat. Don't get me wrong, the rule makes sense
to me. However, punishing me for breaking it when it is
not even written anywhere makes no sense whatsoever.

In conclusion, I think that the bracket rule
should be stated on the website. This
would be more fair to people who find
themselves a situation similar to mine.

Also maybe allow staff members
to chat in very colourful text to
people that dont notice that they
are supposed to give their attention
to an upset staff member?

Attachments

RTFrog

Staff member
Jun 4, 2018
Hi WoahOogaOoga,

Here's a breakdown to help explain what occured. I'm posting the in-game chat, including the things you are disputing along with actual conversation that occured.

I asked you 5 times to use brackets for drunk chat.

[12:20:48] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§b§lHelper§7] §r§7[§8S§7p§8o§7o§8k§7y§7] §r§r§fRTFrog§r§r §8» You need [100% to type in brackets]
[12:21:35] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§b§lHelper§7] §r§7[§8S§7p§8o§7o§8k§7y§7] §r§r§fRTFrog§r§r §8» Use [] for drunk chat
[12:22:23] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§b§lHelper§7] §r§7[§8S§7p§8o§7o§8k§7y§7] §r§r§fRTFrog§r§r §8» [] for drunk chat, 3x asking
[12:22:36] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§b§lHelper§7] §r§7[§8S§7p§8o§7o§8k§7y§7] §r§r§fRTFrog§r§r §8» WoahOogaOoga and Brooksthebrook please
[12:24:59] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§b§lHelper§7] §r§7[§8S§7p§8o§7o§8k§7y§7] §r§r§fRTFrog§r§r §8» woahoogaooga and brooks are your [] keys broken? or perhaps your star keys? cause i'm confused why you guys are having issues complying with requests or following rules

[12:25:39] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] Shreksor warned WoahOogaOoga
[12:25:39] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] For: Refusing to listen to staff multiple times

This is why I asked you to stop:

[12:21:08] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» kaiser *hic*
[12:21:13] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» kaiseer
[12:21:20] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» kaiseer look at mee *hic*
[12:21:38] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» is a ten quality
[12:21:41] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» !
[12:21:49] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» me too man
[12:21:53] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» buot youo
[12:22:03] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» loool
[12:22:08] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» howas that vodka
[12:22:17] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» hows my potatas
[12:23:13] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» 74% drank :D;)
[12:23:54] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» I dont have more vodka dammit *hic*
[12:24:05] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» my druuhnkneess is decreasing!
[12:24:12] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» dhome *hic* tooh
[12:24:22] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» I have likee a million *hic* potatos lmao! *hic*

Since you can't read a request from staff, multiple times, other players also asked you to stop with name formatting that you requested:

[12:24:23] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §f? §7[§5§lK§5ing§7] §r§7[§5§lP§d§lr§f§lemi§d§lu§5§lm§7] §r§r§f§d§lK§5§lr§f§lis§5§lp§d§ly§r§r §8» WoahOogaOoga [use brackets]
[12:24:25] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§f§lP§frincess§7] §r§7[§9§lM§b§la§9§lge§7] §r§r§f§f§lU§bn§9ho§bl§f§ly §8» please. talk with [brackets] WoahOogaOoga to avoid drunk chat

[12:25:23] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» he *hic* lloh
[12:25:34] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» hhnwoaaah!
[12:25:37] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» rum?!

18+ Times in chat.

Then you went on Discord:
WoahOogaOOgaToday at 12:37 PM
Hello I recieved a warning and a 10 minute mute. The warning said I refused to comply to the orders of a staff member. I didn't really see the orders that the staff member sent so I would like to know the reason to my warning.
Obviously the staff member ordered me to stop breaking a rule right, so why not write out the rule that I broke :((
I should talk to the staff member who gave me the warning but I dont know who "Shreksor" is on discord

Then your mute expired.

[12:42:59] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» Test *hic*

[12:43:15] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§b§lHelper§7] §r§7[§8S§7p§8o§7o§8k§7y§7] §r§r§fRTFrog§r§r §8» WoahOogaOoga - really? You just came back from a warn for not listening

[12:43:34] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» What did I do :(!

[12:43:44] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§3§lMod§7] §r§7[§9§lM§b§la§9§lge§7] §r§r§f§9§lM§3§le§9§lta§r§r §8» WoahOogaOohga use [brackets]

[12:44:07] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» [what did I do?]

[12:45:05] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» [What did you tell me?]

[12:51:08] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» [What rule did I break beside not listening to staff?]

[12:51:20] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» [What were the staff trying to tell me?]

Your friend stopped and used brackets, he could read my white text requests just fine.

A suggestion was made for you to submit a new ticket. You choose to post here instead.

WoahOogaOOgaToday at 2:55 PM
I made a regular thread thing instead, made more sense to me since it was only a warning but whatever youre not even online and it has been several hours and youre probably not gonna see this but I am sending this message anyways
so that it doesnt look like I made a thread about a warning in the ban appeal section of the forum

Hopefully this provides clarity for your questioning of why you were warned.

RT

x7Howl7x

Community Manager
Staff member
Content Member
Community Manager
Jun 15, 2017
Hi, first, I'd like to thank you for voicing your concerns here on the forums, as this (Or a ticket on discord) is the appropriate place for such things :)

The 10 minute mute was the result of receiving a warning, as when warned, the server automatically mutes you for the appropriate amount of time depending on how many active warnings you currently have.

Paying attention when a staff member addresses you is indeed your responsibility, when being player checked and whilst conversing in global chat are two of the biggest examples of this, when asked by a staff member to cease an action, you're expected to do so, failure to comply will result in a appropriate punishment according to the situation and surrounding context. All staff members have a large bright title to the far left of their names either "HELPER" 'MOD" OVERSEER" or "ADMIN" "MANGER" "OWNER" to help players identify them as such.

The rule pertaining to drunk chat falls under "Spamming/disruptive chat actions" Please note that "Unwritten rules" are as such for a reason, we cannot and will not document and apply a ruling for every possible infraction that could occur as most all situations can be categorized under one of our various ruling groups.

Under the rulings for Spam, it states "
Don't Spam
  • Please note that spam follows heavy staff discretion as not all possible cases can be accounted for.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to message me here on the forums, in-game or on discord, I do hope this has cleared up any confusion you may have incurred from this series of events.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018
I feel pretty stupid now when I see all the messages
that people actually sent. Since they also did have
colourful names, I apologize for not even taking a
look at what they said.

The reason I brought up the colour thing was
because I had an, appearently, false memory
of RTFrog only having the white and grey [Spooky]
title. I can now see had the helper title aswell.
I also was not even aware that other people
with way more colourful titles and names
were also trying to tell me about the brackets.

Now before I generically write an apology again
in the summary of this text, I'd like to bring up
that I would instead like my reason for a warning
to be that I broke a vague rule in the category
spam. This is because "Refusing to listen to
staff multiple times" (Figure 1) sounds as if I
acknowledged that the staff told me to stop,
which is not the case. You can clearly see, as
shown in RTFrog's reply, that I am very confused
about what specific rule I broke (Figure 2).
No involved staff cared to explain to me what
specific and written down rule I had broken.
The reason that I am supposed to listen to
staff is because they tell me what is right and
wrong. If I fail to do the right thing, they give
me a warning for doing the wrong thing; not
because I did not pay attention to what they
said.

[12:25:39] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] For: Refusing to listen to staff multiple times
Figure 1: Reason for my warning.

[12:43:34] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» What did I do :(!
[12:43:44] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§3§lMod§7] §r§7[§9§lM§b§la§9§lge§7] §r§r§f§9§lM§3§le§9§lta§r§r §8» WoahOogaOohga use [brackets]
[12:45:05] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» [What did you tell me?]
[12:51:08] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» [What rule did I break beside not listening to staff?]
[12:51:20] [main/INFO]: [CHAT] §7[§bNewcomer§7] §r§r§fWoahOogaOoga §8» [What were the staff trying to tell me?]
Figure 2: Confusion. To be fair, someone did in fact tell
me to use brackets, but I couldn't find the rule anywhere.
Thats why I asked for advice on discord so that I could
get an understanding for where the broken rule is written.
Thanks for clarifying that by the way. :)

If I recieve yet another warning for some other
unwritten rule and the staff looks at my previous
warnings, I would like me to not look like
a person who willfully ignores staff because
he wants to do whatever he wants. :))

So to summarize, I am sorry. I will try and pay more
attention to the messages of mods, helpers etc. in
the future. This thread probably wont change a thing,
but I hope that staff will be as specific as they can
when they explain the reason to warnings from
this point onward (I didn't want to write future
because I had the word future in the previous